Real quick, here’s a delicious coffee cake I made up last night to take to a girlfriend brunch-and-clothing-swap. I’m taking this plus like 4 bags of clothes and shoes to pawn off on someone else. Man, I love clothing swaps. It feels really good to get rid of stuff.
It also feels good to share coffee cake with your friends. Try it!
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3 ounces chopped dried apricots (3/4 cup)
- 1 ounce chopped crystallized ginger (2 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease and flour a 9×12″ cake pan.
- Combine apricots, ginger, and orange juice and mix.
- Cream butter and sugars well. Add flour and combine.
- Remove ½ cup of the butter/sugar/flour mixture and set aside for topping.
- To the remaining mixture, add the apricot mixture, milk, egg, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Combine the ½ cup reserved butter mixture and the almonds and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake 30 minutes.
The LEARN TO COOK Book is Here!
By popular demand, Learn to Cook is now available in print! Over 300 pages of knowledge between two soft covers.
Learn To Cook is designed to get you cooking for yourself like a civilized human being! Drawing from a lifetime of cooking and over two years experience making instructional cooking videos, author Hilah Johnson has produced a beginners’ cookbook for today’s young adults. The casual, straightforward style will appeal to anyone with a sense of humor and the focus on fresh, simple recipes will appeal to anyone who loves to eat. The book includes chapters on menu planning, knife skills, grocery shopping and more, plus a comprehensive spice chart and over 150 recipes from breakfast to dinner to snacks in between.