Fruit tarts and pie are one of my favorite desserts and blueberries are some of my favorite fruits so this blueberry tart pretty much gets an A+ from me.
We had the pleasure of visiting Santa Monica, California last week and while we were there, finally got to shoot a video collaboration with charming Chef Anna from LovelyLadyCakes. She had this wonderful fresh blueberry tart recipe to share and, dudes, I am not kidding you. I’ve been thinking about it ever since! Once slice was NOT enough. And it’s super easy! The crust is made by pressing it into the tart pan so you don’t even have to screw with rolling out the dough. Could life get any better?! I think not.
For a video demonstration of making the crust, watch LovelyLadyCakes.
- Sweet Pastry Crust:
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375º F
- For the pastry, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in butter cubes with your fingertips or a pastry cutter until coarse. Add water a tablespoon at a time until a dough forms. Press the dough into a 9″ tart shell (preferably with a removable bottom) evenly across the bottom and ¾” -1″ up the sides. Bake for 15 minutes until light golden brown. Allow to cool while you make the filling.
- In a pot, combine ¼ cup water and 2 cups blueberries over medium-high heat. Cook about 5 minutes, until berries are soft and the mixture is bright purple.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and stir into blueberries along with sugar, lemon zest, and juice. Combine well.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining cup of fresh blueberries.
- Pour into cooled crust and refrigerate 4 hours or until set and cool.
- To serve, lift tart out of shell by pushing the removable bottom up. Serve tart from tart pan bottom. If you aren’t using a removable bottomed pan, just serve the tart from the pan.