Cheesy broccoli casserole is so much better when you make your cheese sauce from scratch, amirite? Of course I’m right! This recipe is fantastic for Thanksgiving and other holidays that require beaucoup cooking because the cook time and temperature is flexible. Oven’s already preheated to 425? No big deal! Gotta reheat that pie at 350? Also no big deal! Because the broccoli is already partially cooked, and the cheese sauce is hot, all you’re doing in the oven is getting everything melded together. This broccoli casserole makes great leftovers, too, which is an important consideration at Thanksgiving.
Broccoli Casserole Recipe Video
Broccoli Casserole Recipe — Printable!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 1 pound broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- Grating of fresh nutmeg
- 3/4 cup grated combination of sharp Cheddar, Parmesan – divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 6-8 crackers
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Rinse the broccoli and cut into florets, approximately 1″ cubes. Peel the stalks and cut them into pieces as well. Put broccoli in a casserole dish with 1 tablespoon water and cover with a glass lid or a plate. Microwave 3 minutes or until just tender.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the flour. Stir and cook 45 seconds until smooth and beginning to smell toasty.
- Add half the milk and stir briskly to combine. Add the rest of the milk and seasonings.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir to melt. Congratulations! You just made a Mornay sauce! Now add in the sour cream.
- Drain the broccoli and mix with the sauce.
- Put it all in a casserole.
- Top with broken crackers and remaining cheese
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or 425 F for 15 minutes until browned and bubbling.