California Chicken Salad
- Author: Hilah Johnson
- Yield: 6
- 1 pound chicken breast (boneless or bone-in)
- 1 cup peeled and sliced jicama
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery (2 stalks)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 mango, sliced
- 6 cups torn lettuce or spring greens
- 1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons canola or safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard or prepared mustard
- Begin by poaching chicken: Place in a pot with enough water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Cover. Bring to boil, then turn OFF heat. Leave chicken in hot water for 15-20 minutes depending on the size.
- Meanwhile, prep the vegetables. Peel jicama and cut into cubes. Place in a large bowl with celery, onion. Cut avocado into cubes and drizzle with lemon juice.
- When chicken is cooked, let cool and cut into cubes or tear into small pieces.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well, or whisk together in a bowl.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and chicken and toss well. Add avocado last.
- Serve over mixed greens.
- Garnish with mango
- Calories: 212
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 18
- Protein: 6.6