Has this ever happened to you?
The other night I got experimental (a.k.a. “confused”) while I was cooking. Suddenly I realized my Greek-style meatballs were morphing into Middle-Eastern-style meatballs and then my kale turned kind of Italian-style when I wasn’t looking and then I decided I wanted a carby-side dish and I had some carrots and a bunch of chickpeas left over from making hummus and I thought that sounded good together so I went there and then threw in some Middle Eastern spices with some Greek herbs and added turmeric and voila! the ultimate, super-tasty, slow-carb, fusion side dish!
- 1 tablespoon butter or vegan margarine
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup cooked chick peas
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt to taste (try ⅛-1/4 teaspoon depending on your chick peas)
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Slice the carrots ¼” thick.
- Melt the butter over medium heat and add the turmeric. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots and chickpeas (drained) and put a lid on it. Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes.
- Use a spoon to mash up some of the chick peas.
- Add the coriander, oregano, and salt and stir. (You may need to add a spoonful of water at this point if it seems fry and in danger of burning.)
- Cover again and simmer another 5-10 minutes until the carrots are done to your liking.
- Squeeze lemon over upon serving.
The LEARN TO COOK Book is Here!
By popular demand, Learn to Cook is now available in print! Over 300 pages of knowledge between two soft covers.
Learn To Cook is designed to get you cooking for yourself like a civilized human being! Drawing from a lifetime of cooking and over two years experience making instructional cooking videos, author Hilah Johnson has produced a beginners’ cookbook for today’s young adults. The casual, straightforward style will appeal to anyone with a sense of humor and the focus on fresh, simple recipes will appeal to anyone who loves to eat. The book includes chapters on menu planning, knife skills, grocery shopping and more, plus a comprehensive spice chart and over 150 recipes from breakfast to dinner to snacks in between.