Chocolate chip pancakes never did agree with me. The first time I had them was at a slumber party in elementary school. They were too sweet and too much like dessert to a kid whose palate was accustomed to Cheerios and shredded wheat. YEARS later, in present day, I’ve discovered chocolate chip waffles. DUUUUDE. Where have they been all my life?! Let me tell you now, chocolate chip waffles are infinitely better than chocolate chip pancakes. For one, they are crispy! Eat them right out of the waffle iron; you don’t even need no butter, no syrup. Just eat them while they’re super crunchy outside and soft and melty and chocolatey inside. I guess that’s it. The crispiness wins over everything.
Of course, you can always serve these for dessert, too. Perhaps with a scoop of ice cream or a spoonful of chocolate syrup or even Nutella. Myself, I’d go for the ice cream since ice cream is generally the answer to all my problems, no matter how trifling. I inherited that from my grandmother.
Chocolate Chip Waffles Video
Chocolate Chip Waffles Recipe – Printable!
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or white sugar (4 tablespoons for a dessert waffle)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 banana, mashed (about ½ cup)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- For serving: berries, whipped cream, ice cream
- Whisk together in a large bowl: flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt until lump-free.
- In another bowl, mix up banana, egg, milk, vanilla and butter.
- Add wet to dry and mix just until combined.
- Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour ½ cup batter into hot waffle iron and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped nuts, if desired.
- Close waffle iron and cook 3-4 minutes, or until steam subsides and iron opens easily.
- Serve right away with berries, whipped cream or ice cream
And if you can’t get enough waffles, check out these other waffle recipes!
And if you’re in an overall “breakfast” frame of mind, view this playlist of breakfast recipes!