Who among us didn’t love the everloving crap out of some Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing when we were young? Truly, who among us doesn’t still love it? Ain’t no shame in that game! But it is easy and fast to make your own with higher quality (healthier) oil and honest-to-god fresh garlic to keep vampires — and lovers? — at bay.
This keeps for a long time in the fridge so you can have it on hand when you’re ready! Use it over a salad, obviously, or as a dressing for a super quick pasta salad. Use it as a marinade for chicken, too, before grilling and you’ll be singing my heavenly praises guaranteed. Just like that.
- ½ cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar for a dressing that looks like the bottled dressing)
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 green onion, minced (1½ tablespoons)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1¼ teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-3 teaspoons honey (to taste)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight lid and shake.
- This tastes best if allowed to sit at least 30 minutes before serving so that all the dried herbs infuse the dressing.
- Keeps in refrigerator at least a month.