THE BEST way to make French toast is with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. How can you deny peanut butter and jelly French toast? With berry maple syrup? And more berries inside? Your protests are sounding ridiculous!
Like chocolate chip waffles, peanut butter and jelly French toast makes almost a better dessert than a breakfast. The berry infused maple syrup is top notch! I strongly suggest you make it. It will keep in the fridge in a jar for at least two weeks and would also be wonderful on ice cream (or maple frozen yogurt …) or dress up plain old pancakes with some fancy berry syrup. Use blackberries and blueberries to create a gorgeous deep purple syrup. For the French toast, use almond or cashew butter in place of peanut butter and try any kind of jam you like. Cashew butter with strawberry is one of my favorite combinations; peanut butter and grape jelly; almond butter and raspberry.
Peanut Butter and jelly French Toast Video (scroll down for printable recipe)
PB&J French Toast Recipe with Berry Maple Syrup – Printable!Print
PBJ French Toast
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2
- 4 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter or almond or cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons jelly of your choice
- 4 sliced strawberries or thin sliced apple or banana
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- dash vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Berry syrup:
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- Make the syrup first: combine maple syrup and berries in a small pot. Bring to simmer over medium heat and simmer 3 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside for 20 minutes to steep while you make the French toast.
- Make two PBJ sandwiches with nut butter, jelly and sliced fruit. Set aside.
- Whisk egg, milk, vanilla and salt together in a shallow bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat until beginning to bubble.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture to coat well. Allow excess to drip off.
- Fry in butter until dark golden brown. Turn carefully and cook the other side.
- Serve PBJ French toast hot with berry maple syrup
I mean, honestly. You’d be a fool not to eat the hell out of this. It’s delicious, and it’s very photogenic.