Stuffed jalapeños this way are incredibly, stupidly easy and delicious. No cooking the meat first, no cooking anything first, just mix up some pork with some salsa and other stuff, cram it in a hollowed out jalapeño and bake. So easy a horse on ketamine could do it and horses don’t even have thumbs! Come to think of it, maybe drugged up horses couldn’t make these, but you can.
Not into spicy jalapeños? Do the same thing with mini bell peppers. Bite-size appetizers not your bag? Use the same filling in bell peppers or poblanos for a main dish. Just bake the peppers 30-40 minutes until cooked through. You can also do the same recipe with ground beef if you don’t eat pork.
If you must have a dip, I recommend plain old sour cream. If that’s too boring, you could try Ranch dressing or sour cream mixed with a little of the salsa leftover from making the stuffed peppers.
Stuffed Jalapeños Recipe – Printable!Print
Sausage Stuffed Jalapeños
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12
- 12 large, fresh jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork or beef
- 1 cup salsa or tomato juice
- 1/3 cup fine bulgur wheat or couscous
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced white and green (or 2 tablespoons finely minced onion)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional dips for serving: Ranch dip, sour cream
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and membranes, leaving the stem intact if possible.
- Set oven to 400ºF
- Mix remaining ingredients — except cheese — together in a medium bowl until very smooth.
- Scoop into pepper halves, mounding just a little.
- Sprinkle peppers with cheese and place on a baking sheet. (Recipe can be made ahead of time to this stage and refrigerated up to 12 hours.)
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until meat filling is firm and no longer pink (interior temperature is 165ºF)
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream or Ranch dressing for dipping if desired
Stuffed Jalapeño Video