Last week we went back to Santa Monica to shoot some collaborations with other YouTube cooks at the Tastemade studio. I met one of my new favorites, Ariyele Ressler, a gluten-free cook who’s just started her channel. I fell in love with her personality and recipes at first look and she proved to be just as fun and good-cookin’ 😉 in real life.
Since she’s a New Yorker transplanted to California and I’m a Texan (who’s still a Texan) she came up with this California-meets-Texas “slider salad” with some chili-spiced mini burgers on top of a really delicious salad full of fresh crunchy vegetables, dressed lightly with lime juice and topped with cotija cheese and freshly toasted pepitas. The slider patties are seasoned with chili powder, then covered in salt and coarse pepper before cooking. Boy howdy! This simple meal idea is much more than the sum of its parts, I swear to you.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled (or another salty, crumbly cheese)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- Combine meat with chili powder and form it into 8 small (2″ diameter) patties. Sprinkle outsides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Put greens, carrots, radishes, and cheese in a large bowl and chill.
- To toaste seeds: place in a dry skillet over medium heat and shake frequently for 3-5 minutes until puffed and toasted. Set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat and add mini-burgers (may need to oil the skillet if you’re using a lean grind.) Cook 2 minutes on each side for medium doneness.
- Toss salad with lime juice, crumbled cheese, and distribute among 4 plates.
- Top each with avocado slices, toasted pepitas, and 2 sliders.