Spicy Black Bean Empanadas
These spicy black bean empanadas are filled with black beans, corn and some sauteed vegetables but the star of the show is the empanada dough. My empanada dough is made with cream cheese and butter which makes it very flaky and tender. I add a little cornmeal, too, for texture.
My dear friend Nataly Dawn helped me with this video. She just released a new album and I wanted to do something to celebrate together! If you like music (who doesn’t?!) check out her YouTube channel and website for more info on the new album, titled Haze and available on itunes, CD or vinyl now.
Empanadas are portable and great for packing in a brownbag lunch or for a picnic. You can reheat them if you like, but I think they are just find at room temperature. Annnndddd in case you were wondering, you also don’t have to make bean empanadas! You can use the same dough but fill these with my picadillo recipe or shredded chicken and cheese or mashed sweet potato and cheese. Serve these with my orange aioli or salsa for dipping.
Black Bean Empanadas Recipe – printable!Print
Spicy Black Bean Empanadas
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup buttter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions (about 6)
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Optional: 1 egg for glazing the empanadas
- For the Dough:
- Combine the cheese and butter in a mixing bowl and beat with a paddle attachment or just with a wooden spoon or spatula until well combined. Add flour, cornmeal and salt and mix well. Refrigerate while you make the filling.
- Black bean Empanada filling:
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat and add onion. Cook, stirring for several minutes until onion is beginning to brown. Add jalapeño, garlic and tomato paste and cook 60 seconds.
- Add beans and mash up about half the beans with your spatula.
- Add zest and cilantro and turn off heat.
- To Shape:
- On a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to ¼” thickness, or until it’s about a foot-and-a-half diameter circle. (If the dough doesn’t roll out easily — i.e. it springs back — let it rest longer)
- Cut 6″ circles from it. (You should get about 8 circles.)
- Plop 1/4 cup of filling onto the lower half of each circle and fold over to cover it.
- Use a fork to mash the seam together.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, leaving ½” between each.
- (If you like, brush the tops with beaten egg for a glossy look.)
- Bake at 375øF F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Empanada Dough Video
Black Bean Empanada Filling Video