Spicy Chicken Skewers Video – scroll down for recipe card
Chicken skewers or chicken kebabs have been one of our go-to meals lately. They are super fast to prep and to cook, there’s very little cleanup, and you can mix up the flavors really easily so you don’t get bored. This spicy chicken rub has Indian inspirations and I think you’ll dig it.
Serve these with a simple salad and some of this marvelous Creamy Hatch chile sauce or some store-bought mango chutney.
Chicken Skewers Recipe
- Spice rub:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 12 large button mushrooms
- 1 red bell peppers, cut into eighths
- 1 onion cut into eighths
- 2 jalapeños, optional
- Combine spice rub in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces, you should get about 36 cubes. Coat cubes with ¾ of the spice mix. Allow to sit and marinate while you prep the vegetables.
- Wipe clean the mushrooms and spray with a little oil. Sprinkle with some of the remaining spice mix. Cut pepper and onion into 8 pieces each; cut each jalapeño into 4 thick circles.
- Thread skewers in this order, being careful not to pack them too tightly or the chicken won't cook evenly: mushroom, red bell pepper, 2 chicken cubes, jalapeño slice, 2 chicken cubes, onion. You should get 8 skewers.
- Grill skewers over a hot grill (450-500ºF) for 6 minutes, closed. Then turn and grill another 3-4 minutes, closed, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve hot.