Sweet Potato Banana Bread
- Author: Hilah Johnson
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10-12
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, halved (about 3 ounces weight)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup shredded raw sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- Set oven to 350ºF and grease a 9×5 loaf pan
- Put the dates in a heat-proof cup and pour boiling water over. Let soak.
- Mash bananas in a mixing bowl.
- Puree the soaked dates with the water until fairly smooth. Add to bananas with butter. Mix well. Stir in sweet potato and eggs. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and stir a few times.
- Add milk and stir just until it’s all incorporated.
- Spread into loaf pan and bake about 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes, then turn onto a cooling rack and cool another 10-15 minutes before slicing. I like thick, 1″ slices and you get about 10 of those from one loaf.
- Most excellent spread with butter or peanut butter!