Beet BLT Sandwich
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large clove garlic
- pinch of salt
- 2–3 leaves fresh basil
- 4 slices thick bread
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large beet
- 1 thin-skinned cucumber, sliced 1/4″ thick
- small bunch fresh sorrel (or another green, like spinach)
- olive oil
- Make the spread:
- Put mayo in a small bowl.
- Mince garlic and add a pinch of salt to it on the cutting board. Use the flat side of your knife to smear the salt into the garlic several times, making a paste. Add garlic paste to mayo.
- Chiffonade the basil and add that, too. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon slowly over a medium heat until crispy, turning occasionally so that it cooks evenly and the fat renders out.
- Slice beets about 1/3″ thick (no need to peel) and heat a teaspoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook beets 2 minutes on one side, then turn and cover the pan. Cook another 2 minutes or until the beets are toasty and tender when you poke with a fork. Salt them and set aside.
- Spread the bread with your garlic mayo, top with bacon, cucumber, and fried beets.
- Slap another slice of bread on top and serve!