Camarones a la Diabla – Diablo Shrimp Recipe
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound medium or large shrimp, peeled with tails left on
- 1 Roma tomato
- 2 guajillo chiles
- 3–4 chile de arbol or chile Japon
- 1 habanero (only for heat-lovers)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 onion, sliced into strips
- Peel the shrimp, leaving the tails on for presentation. Lay on a towel to dry. Set aside while you make the sauce.
- Chop the tomato and put it in the blender.
- Toast the guajillo and arbol chiles in a dry skillet until fragrant. Cover with boiling water and simmer 5 minutes until softened. Remove stems and seeds from guajillo.
- Transfer to blender with habanero, garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper. Puree until smooth. (You can stop here and refrigerate the sauce for several days.)
- Heat half the butter in a large skillet and add the onion strips. Saute a few minutes over medium-high until softened and the butter starts to brown. Remove onions and butter.
- Add remaining butter and melt. Lay shrimp in a single layer and cook 60 seconds. Turn and cook 30 seconds. Add onions and sauce and stir gently. Simmer 30-60 seconds. Serve.
- Calories: 166
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Protein: 16