Fried Brussels Sprouts
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 large shallots
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cups frying oil (peanut, canola, safflower)
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro (or mint if you hate cilantro)
- Trim the Brussels sprouts and cut in half lengthwise. Peel the shallots and slice thinly.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a small pot and cook over medium heat until reduced slightly, about 3 minutes simmering.
- Add garlic and simmer 1 more minute. Add fish sauce and remove from heat.
- Heat oil to 350ºF
- Fry the sprouts in batches, about 3 minutes each, transferring to a large bowl as they are done. Fry the sliced shallots, too.
- Pour the vinegar sauce over and toss to coat.
- Add cilantro last.