How to Make Gougères aka Choux Pastry
How to make Gougères Recipe Video – scroll down for recipe
To Begin to make Gougères you must first make Pâte à Choux, aka Choux Pastry
I first learned how to make Shoe Pastry when I was living in New Zealand, dating the ChefBoy, and learning all kinds of neat-o Real Chef Things. Things such as: It’s actually spelled choux pastry. It took me more time that I care to admit to figure that one out.
Choux pastry is what profiteroles, cream puffs, croquembouches, and eclairs are all made of. Add some cheese et voila! you got gougères. Unlike puff pastry, choux pastry is a CINCH to make! Imagine the sheer delight upon your guests’ faces when you pull a hot tray of steaming, golden, cheesy puffs from the oven. These are easy and so impressive!
How to Make Gougères – Printable RecipePrint
French Choux pastry bites with parmesan cheese
- Yield: 15
- • 1/2 cup water
- • 3 tablespoons butter
- • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- • 2 eggs
- • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan, about 2 ounces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine water, butter, and cayenne pepper in a sauce pot and put over medium-high heat until the butter melts.
- Dump the flour in all at once and stir quickly until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pot.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 2 minutes to cool.
- Add one egg and beat again until incorporated, by hand or with a mixer.
- Once fully incorporated and smooth, add the other egg and mix again.
- Add all but 2 tablespoons of the cheese and mix.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use two spoons or a pastry bag to make cherry-tomato-sized balls of dough, spaced 1 inch apart. You should get about 30 balls.
- Top each with a pinch of the remaining cheese
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425 then reduce heat to 375 and bake another 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on racks.
For a drier, lighter gougere more suitable for filling, poke a hole in the bottom of each puff with a skewer and let cool.
More French Recipes to Try!