- 4 ounces basil (2 cups packed leaves)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, walnuts or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, optional
- Combine basil, oil, nuts, cheese, garlic and salt in a food processor or chopper and pulse until finely chopped. Add a couple tablespoons of water and pulse until the pesto is as thin as you like. Taste it and add the lemon juice if you want.
- Store pesto in a small covered container in the fridge. Pack it tightly then pour on a thin layer of more olive oil to keep it from oxidizing and turning brown. Pesto can also be frozen this way.