How to Cook Rice
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter or oil, optional
- Additional spices if you desire: 1 bay leaf; 2 cracked cardamom pods; 1 clove garlic, minced; 1″ stick cinnamon; 2 slices fresh ginger; 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Combine all ingredients in your pot and put the lid on it. Put the pot on high heat.
- Once the pot comes to a boil (you will notice steam and hear bubbles) reduce the heat to as low as you can go without turning it off and set a timer for 15 minutes.
- DO NOT open the lid. DO NOT stir the rice. Just turn the heat down and set a timer.
- *Tip for electric stoves: Since electric burners take a while to cool from high heat to low heat, have another burner on the back of the stove set to low so that once the rice pot comes to a boil, you can switch the pot to the low burner and turn the high burner completely off. This will help prevent burning or overocoking the rice.
- When the 15 minute timer dings, turn the heat off and let the rice sit for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and serving. You can let it sit longer, up to 30 minutes, and it will be just fine and even stay warm.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 169
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Protein: 2