Eggplant Parmesan Subs
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 globe eggplant, about 1 pound
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces mozzarella
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- Slice eggplant crosswise into 1/3″ slices. Pat dry.
- Whisk eggs and flour together in a shallow bowl.
- Combine crumbs, seasonings in another shallow bowl.
- Dredge eggplant slices in egg mix, then breadcrumbs. Lay on a rack to “dry” at room temperature 10-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice rolls open and place on baking sheet. Lay two slices cheese on half of each and put into 200ºF oven to melt cheese and warm buns.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry eggplant slices in a single layer about 3-5 minutes on each side until golden and tender.
- As slices are cooked, drain on a rack and sprinkle with Parmesan while still hot. Cook remaining eggplant, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Once all slices are cooked, drain all but 1 teaspoon of oil from the skillet and CAREFULLY add sauce to skillet and heat to bubbling.
- Remove rolls, top cheese with eggplant slices and sauce and fresh basil leaves.
- Serve immediately.
- Calories: 702
- Fat: 25
- Carbohydrates: 94
- Protein: 32