Eggplant Parmesan Sandwiches
I did it! (I think) I finally made a believer out of Chris! (Mostly) Chris finally ate some eggplant and didn’t think it was (very) terrible and gross! Yay for Chris! Yay for me! Yay for you! Yay for eggplant!
This eggplant parmesan sandwich is a great way to use eggplants while they’re in season. Adapted from my Learn to Cook book, I added a breadcrumb coating here to make sure the sandwich has plenty of crunchy texture.
If you don’t want a big ol’ slab of bread involved in your eggplant parm, just place the fried eggplant slices on top of some marinara sauce in a 9×13″ pan, top with mozzarella and a little more sauce; bake at 350 for about 10 minutes until melted and bubbly. This way, it can be served on its own or with pasta and a salad.
And if you love eggplant parm as much as I do, you’ll also enjoy eating leftover fried eggplant parmesan slices cold from the fridge, dipped in marinara.
Eggplant Parmesan Video – scroll down for recipe card
Eggplant Parmesan Sandwiches RecipePrint
Eggplant Parmesan Subs
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 globe eggplant, about 1 pound
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces mozzarella
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- Slice eggplant crosswise into 1/3″ slices. Pat dry.
- Whisk eggs and flour together in a shallow bowl.
- Combine crumbs, seasonings in another shallow bowl.
- Dredge eggplant slices in egg mix, then breadcrumbs. Lay on a rack to “dry” at room temperature 10-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice rolls open and place on baking sheet. Lay two slices cheese on half of each and put into 200ºF oven to melt cheese and warm buns.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry eggplant slices in a single layer about 3-5 minutes on each side until golden and tender.
- As slices are cooked, drain on a rack and sprinkle with Parmesan while still hot. Cook remaining eggplant, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Once all slices are cooked, drain all but 1 teaspoon of oil from the skillet and CAREFULLY add sauce to skillet and heat to bubbling.
- Remove rolls, top cheese with eggplant slices and sauce and fresh basil leaves.
- Serve immediately.
- Calories: 702
- Fat: 25
- Carbohydrates: 94
- Protein: 32