Fluffy Mexican-Restaurant-Style Rice
- 1 cup dry long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups rich chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Put the rice in a sieve, and put the sieve in a bowl of enough water to completely cover the rice. Let soak for 15 minutes then drain.
- Saute over medium heat the onion, celery, garlic and bay.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until the rice is coated with tomato paste and begins to look toasted – about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth and salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer 10 minutes and remove from heat but leave the lid on for another 5-15 minutes before serving.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.