If you’re ever in the enviable position of being able to throw a pie in someone’s face, please don’t let it be this one. Coconut cream pie is WAY too good to be thrown in anyone’s face, unless that person has a giganto-mouth and excellent mouth-pie coordination and there’s only one person who ever lived who possessed both those qualities and his name was Paul Bunyan. So just stop.
Stop and eat this pie. It’s practically fool proof and it has a whole load of coconut flavor. This pie is coconut to the max. It’s got maximumcocopower. It’s cocoriffic.
And that’s enough, right?
You may use full-fat or low-fat coconut milk in this recipe. Full-fat will result in a firmer, richer pie but it’ll also have about 8000 extra calories. The pie still sets well with low-fat coconut milk. It’s your choice.
Coconut Cream Pie Video Demonstration
Coconut Cream Pie Recipe Card – Printable!
- 1 pie shell
- ½-2/3 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 eggs (3 whole and 1 separated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Set the oven to 425ºF. Separate one of the eggs, keeping yolk and white.
- Roll out your pie crust on a floured surface and put it into a 9″ pie pan. Prick the bottom all over with a fork. Spread a sheet of aluminum foil along the bottom and sides of the crust and fill with dried beans or pie weights or pennies. Bake 15 minutes. Remove and let cool until you can remove the foil/weights. Brush crust with egg white. Bake for 5 more minutes. Set aside. Turn off oven.
- In a large pot, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and half-and-half until the cornstarch and sugar are dissolved. Add coconut milk, 3 eggs, and 1 egg yolk. Whisk to combine well, until no bits of egg are visible.
- Put over medium heat and stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon, making sure you scrape the bottom and the corners, until mixture begins to steam. It will start to thicken slightly.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir frequently 5-10 minutes, until it’s very thick. It should be smooth and almost as thick as grits or polenta.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle half the toasted coconut in the bottom of the warm crust then spread custard over.
- Cover tightly with plastic and refrigerate 4-8 hours.
- When ready to serve, top with whipped cream and remaining coconut.