piña colada pancakes video (scroll down for printable recipe)
A tropical spin on plain old pancakes, these piña colada pancakes are made with coconut milk, coconut chips and fresh diced pineapple. The rum is mixed into warm maple syrup so the pancakes themselves are alcohol-free and safe for small children. Finally a holiday breakfast the whole family can enjoy! And by that I mean, one which gives the grownups a good jumping off point to start down the slippery slope of seasonal alcoholism.
piña colada pancakes recipePrint
Piña Colada Pancakes
- Yield: 8
- 1 egg
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup coconut chips (unsweetened flakes)
- Oil for the griddle
- Whipped cream for serving
- Rum syrup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg with coconut milk, sugar and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and stir until almost combined. Add pineapple and mix well.
- Cook on greased griddle over medium heat, using 1/4 cup batter for each. Turn when bubbles have appeared on surface and edges look dry. Serve right away or keep cooked pancakes warm on a baking rack in a 200ºF oven.
- Warm syrup in a small pot over low heat, stir in rum just before serving.