Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe Video – scroll down for recipe card
If your only experience with broccoli cheese soup is eating it from a warmed-up can, you’ve got to give homemade broccoli cheese soup a chance. Unlike its blobby, flaccid, overcooked counterpart, homemade broccoli cheese soup is creamy and rich — sure — but also fresh and bright.
My broccoli cheese soup is just made with vegetables, milk or half-and-half, and some Cheddar cheese. There’s no roux; it’s thickened instead with potato, making it quick and simple. By cooking the stems for a longer time and the florets for just a few minutes, we keep it pretty and green.
Top the soup with croutons if you like: Cut stale bread into cubes. Heat a couple tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat until foamy. Add the bread and stir. Cook for several minutes, stirring or shaking occasionally, until the bread cubes are toasted. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika or any dried herbs or spices you like. Cool and serve on soup or salad.
Broccoli Cheese Soup RecipePrint
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 1 medium potato
- 1 stalk celery
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 2 ounce Cheddar, cubed
- Optional: fresh dill or parsley, croutons
- Separate broccoli florets from stalks and set aside. Peel the stalks and dice. Peel the potato and dice. (You should have about 2 cups broccoli cubes and 1 cup potato cubes). Dice celery. Mince garlic to make 2 teaspoons.
- Melt butter in a large pot and add cubed stalk, potato, celery and garlic. Saute a minute or two until the garlic is fragrant. Add the stock. Cover and bring to boil. Boil 5 minutes until tender.
- Add florets and cover. Cook another 5 minutes until tender but still bright green. Blend soup to preferred texture.
- Add half and half and cheese cubes and warm over low heat, stirring, until cheese begins to melt.
- Serve with fresh herbs and/or croutons if you like
Nutrition info is without croutons
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Protein: 10