Dog Costume for Halloween!
How to make a Halloween costume for your dog! HOT DIGGITY DOG! This is the first in an occasional crafting series, featuring Daisy and Mr. Banjo!
To make the hot dog costume for your dog you will need:
- 1 yard (45″ wide) quilted fabric or heavy felt, tan in color
- 1 yard white or beige felt to use as backing
- felt or 2″ wide ribbon, to match your dog’s fur
- 1 strip of yellow or red felt (to be mustard or ketchup)
- Velcro, ribbon, or wide elastic
Take these measurements on your dog:
- length from shoulder to hip (measurement A)
- width from shoulder blade to shoulder blade (measurement B)
- Circumference of chest and “waist”
General dog costume instructions (See video for more details):
- Cut out hot dog buns from the fabric and the felt using length = (measurement A) and height = (half of A)
- Round the corners to make oval bun shapes
- Sew fabric to felt backing
- Make an “H” with the felt or ribbon straps cut to width 1-2″ and length = (measurement B + 1 inch) and the squiggle of yellow or red
- Sew the “H” to the buns, attaching the straps 1-2 inches inside the outer edge of the long side of the buns
- Sew velcro strips or ribbon to the outer edges of the buns
- Wrap up your dog in her new duds!
AND, there’s been much concern that Daisy hated her costume, but I assure you that she truly loves it and it was just way past her bedtime when we made this video, meaning she really wanted to be cuddling on the couch, not wearing a giant fabric hot dog bun.