Fennel and Apple Salad
My dear old daddy was thinning out his fennel patch last week and showed up with 3 baby fennel roots. I love fennel. I love it especially raw and in this quick and easy salad. It’s got a slightly licorice-y taste and you might not like it if you’re terribly offended by licorice. I’m not. I’m into it. In fact, when I was a kid we had this really awful, dangerous horse that was all black and named Licorice because of how she smelled.
Just kidding. It was because of her color.
|Fennel and Apple Salad|
- 1 large fennel bulb or 3 babies
- 1 apple – any crisp variety will do, I’m partial to Gala
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Sprinkle of salt
- Chop the fennel bulb into slices across the root about 1/2″ thick to give you a pile of little crescents. Rinse them in water to get the dirt from the crevices.
- Chop the apple into 1/2″ chunks.
- Drain the fennel and mix with the apple, lemon juice, and salt.
- Eat it. Thank me later.
You might be tempted to make this salad more fancy by adding some other ingredients like celery or nuts, but I wouldn’t bother. It’s really just lovely like this served with a good sandwich and a glass of iced tea, or with some grilled meat or fish.