Mango Coconut Sorbet
Mango Coconut Sorbet Video (scroll down for recipe)
When I sent out the newsletter survey a month or so ago, I was surprised at the number of people who avoid dairy products. And during these hottest days of summer, that’s a damn shame! Errybody deserves ice cream! So I came up with this dairy free ice cream recipe, or more specifically, a mango coconut sorbet. It’s creamy from the coconut milk, but the mango and lime tempers it a little so it doesn’t coat your whole mouth with oil like so many coconut ice cream recipes do. Plus, mango and coconut are two of my favorite flavors and their individual goodness-es are multiplied tenfold when combined into one treat.
You could probably make this with low fat coconut milk to reduce the calories and fat, though I admit I have not tried it that way. Give me fat! Give me calories! (This is what I imagine the baby boy inside me is burbling out through a mouth full of amniotic fluid.) To reduce calories further, you might also use Xylitol or some other sweetener in place of the sugar but it will have the effect of making the sorbet harder to scoop. Sugar acts as an antifreeze of sorts when it comes to ice cream and I don’t think fake sugars do the same thing.
Lacking an ice cream maker, you can spread the mixture into a loaf pan and put it in the freezer for about 4 hours, stirring it once an hour for the first 3 hours, then every 15 or 20 minutes until it’s mostly frozen. Or you can try this ice-cream-in-a-bag technique from my friends at Just Eat Life.
Mango Coconut Sorbet Recipe – Printable!Print
Mango Coconut Sorbet
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 large mango, about 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced
- Combine 1/2 water and sugar in a small pot or microwave bowl. Heat until sugar is dissolved and then allow to simmer gently for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in shredded coconut and let sit until coconut turns translucent, about a minute.
- Shake coconut milk well and whisk into sugar syrup.
- Refrigerate or place in an ice water bath until cooled.
- Meanwhile, puree mango chunks with lime juice and 1/4 cup water.
- Fold mango into coconut mixture and chill until very cold.
- Pour into ice cream maker and let run according to machine instructions.
- Once frozen, serve right away or pack into a freezer-safe container with a tight lid and place in freezer for 1 hour or more for firmer sorbet.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 237
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 28