Meet My New Pal: Pimm’s Cup
I am a lover of gin. Ever since I visited Ye Olde England for New Year’s 2000 (BIG disappointment when the Thames River refused to catch aflame) gin has been a favorite of mine. Many were the freezing-butt-ass-cold December nights I spent in my friend’s dormitory kitchen, getting drunk on Gordon’s and watching terrible TV with poor reception, occasionally breaking for crumpets, though it may have been a full 12 hours shy of High Tea.
For a long time after that, my Summer Drink of Choice was a gin and tonic. As recently as last year, though, I’ve switched to gin and soda, which is more refreshing and tangier and unusual — all qualities that rank high in importance to me.
But, dig this. Pimm’s. Heard of it???
Yeah, I know you have. Everyone has, apparently, except for me. But in case you are like me, the thing you need to know is that Pimm’s #1 is a gin-based liqueur made in Great Britain since, like, 1820 and is known as the only “cocktail in a bottle”. It’s gin and herbs and alchemy and deliciousness. It may be served on the rocks, or made into a fancier drink called a Pimm’s Cup (or a Pimm’s Cup Cocktail).
It is PURE SUNSHINE. Here’s how I make my Pimm’s Cup, henceforth known officially as my New Summer Drink of Choice, especially if you can find a nice spicy ginger beer!Print
Pimm\’s Cup Cocktail #1
- Yield: 1 1x
- 2 – 1/2” slices of cucumber, peeled
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon honey (unless you have ginger beer)
- 1/2 ounce gin
- 1/2 ounce Pimm’s #1
- Seltzer Water or Ginger Beer to top off
- In a highball glass, put the cucumber slices. Muddle around with a fork or the reaming-end of a wooden citrus reamer (or an actual muddler if you are so fancy) until the cucumber is broken up a bit.
- Squeeze in the lemon and the honey and mix it about.
- Fill the glass with crushed ice if you got it; ice cubes if you don’t.
- Add the gin and Pimm’s. Stir.
- Top off with seltzer.
- Watch some AbFab reruns.
UPDATE! I’ve since cracked the code on the Famous Napoleon House Pimm’s Cup Cocktail! There’s even a video on it!