Super Nachos with Avocado Sauce
Super Nachos recipe video (scroll down for printable recipe)
There’s not a whole lot in the world that’s better than nachos. Even less in the world that’s better than SUPER NACHOS. I put it in all-caps for emphasis.
SUPER NACHOS are kind of like the Nachos Supreme I used to get at Taco Bell back when I used to eat at Taco Bell almost every day for lunch, usually ordering a bean burrito but splurging on Nachos Supreme the day after pay day or whenever I was super hungover.
Nachos are perfect for when you’re hungover. They are also the perfect party snack because everyone in their right mind loves them. If you’ve got some vegetarians hanging around, make these as written, omitting the beef and call them Deluxe Two-Bean Nachos. See, that sounds almost just as fancy as SUPER NACHOS.
Nachos Supreme RecipePrint
Nachos Supreme with Avocado Cream Sauce
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Avocado Sauce:
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1/3 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 serrano (or jalapeno) pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Nacho topping:
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (or omit for slightly less supreme nachos)
- 1/4 cup water (omit if omitting the beef)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups cooked black beans, well-drained (about 1-15 ounce can)
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (Monterey Jack, Oaxaca, or a Mexican blend)
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- Combine sauce ingredients (avocado through salt) in a blender or small chopper until smooth. Set aside.
- Set oven to 350ºF
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Cook and stir until the onions start to soften. Add chili powder and cumin and black pepper and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the meat and water and stir to break the meat up into very small pieces.
- Add the ketchup, and cook until the meat is fully browned. Stir in the salt and beans and set aside.
- Spread a teaspoon or so of refried beans on each chip. Take your time. Perfect nachos benefit from a little patience. Use at least 50% more patience than they use at Taco Bell 😉
- Spread the meat mixture over your bed of beaned-chips then sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- Arrange jalapeño slices over the top, try to center them on every other chip.
- Make a single layer on a large baking sheet or a double layer on a smaller pan.
- Bake the nachos for just 4-5 minutes until the cheese is all melted and starting to bubble in a few places.
- Remove and drizzle cream sauce all over the top and sprinkle with diced tomatoes and onions