Vegan Caesar Salad
Vegan Caesar Salad Video – scroll down for recipe
This vegan Caesar dressing is made from soaked cashews and avocado, with plenty of lemon juice. Don’t be afraid of the salt measurement. It’s necessary since we are omitting the salty anchovies, too. Of course, if you’re only interested in this as an egg-free Caesar dressing, then by all means go ahead and add a couple of anchovy fillets to the blender jar. I won’t mind. While you’re at it, add some Parmesan cheese!
You’ll get a good cup of dressing from this recipe, and you’ll probably only use about 1/4 cup for a big salad but that’s okay because it’s keeps well in the fridge for up to two weeks. I store in a small Mason jar with a tight lid. It’ll thicken up as it chills so you will have to be a little more forceful with your salad-tossin’ but it will all come together in the end.
Vegan Caesar Salad Recipe – Printable!Print
Vegan Caesar Salad
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Yield: 4 1x
- Vegan Caesar Dressing:
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon drained capers (or 1–2 anchovy fillet if you aren’t vegetarian)
- 1/4 –1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 2 cups croutons
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, if you like (not vegan, obviously)
- Make the dressing (allow several hours or make the day before): Soak cashews in about a cup of water for at least 4 hours and up to 12. Drain.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender jar or food processor. Drain the cashews before adding and discard the soaking liquid. Add 1/4 cup water and blend. Add more water if necessary to get a pourable consistency.
- Wash and tear Romaine. Refrigerate until cold and crisp.
- Toss with about 1/4 cup of dressing and garnish with croutons or Parmesan.