Caprese Pasta salad video (scroll down for printable recipe)
This is one of the simplest pasta salads one could make, and everyone in the world — or at least the potluck — loves it. Instead of balsamic vinegar, I use white wine or champagne vinegar with a little sugar added to keep the color of this pasta salad nice and bright instead of going murky with the dark vinegar. Be sure to cool the pasta completely before adding the cheese or it will melt into a big, stringy mess that behaves more like a casserole than a salad.
Serve it right away or stick it in the fridge over night and add the basil at the last minute. Not only does this caprese pasta salad work as a side dish, it would also be a delicious main dish topped with grilled chicken or shrimp. (You might also like this Greek Pasta Salad with feta and olives!)
Caprese pasta salad recipe – printable!Print
Caprese Pasta Salad
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4-8
- 8 ounces pasta (short shape like orechiette, rotini or shells)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, torn coarsely
- Boil the pasta in salted water according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper flakes in a large bowl until emulsified.
- Cut tomatoes in half and add to vinaigrette.
- Drain and rinse pasta with cold water to chill it.
- Add to bowl and stir to coat.
- Add mozzarella once salad is cool (to prevent it melting). Refrigerate now if not serving immediately.
- Add basil right before serving.