HHH026 Interview with J. Kenji Lopez-Alt | The Food Lab
I got to interview chef/scientist J. Kenji López-Alt — mastermind behind The Food Lab column on the Serious Eats site — about how he discovered cooking and his approach to finding optimal techniques. We discuss the best (really) way to cook a steak; dispute the idea that you should never refrigerate tomatoes; and why it might be best to cook pasta in just a few cups of water. (I think it’ll surprise you!) Plus, Kenji goes deep on deep frying and the perfect French fries method.
- Ancho Reyes
- Sous vide
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Reverse sear
- Cook’s Illustrated
- Cooking pasta in a little water
- Modern pasta vs Traditional pasta
- Should you refrigerate tomatoes?
- Daniel Gritzer
- Warm foods taste better
- What happens to refrigerated potatoes
- Mussels and clams that don’t open
- Deep frying temperature truths
- French fry science
- Kenji’s French fries
- Air fryers
- Woodworking for Mere Mortals (podcast here!)
- Wood Whisperer
- Suzuki violin method
- Scent literacy
You can listen to the episode and subscribe on iTunes or on Soundcloud here. Please leave a review/rating to help others find the show, and if you have any suggestions about future guests feel free to let me know by leaving a comment on this page or tweet me @hilahcooking!