HHH037 Drinking Beer with John Verive
Chilling out with cicerone John Verive (Beer of Tomorrow) talking about beer and tasting beers. We discuss IPAs, sour beers, wheat beers, cans versus bottles, surprising beer-food pairings, which beers age well (and which ones do NOT) and best beer service in LA. This podcast will put you in the mood to drink some beer.
Can he convince me that IPAs are better than Michelob Ultra??? Listen to find out.
For beer-inspired recipes, try my beer beef stew and cheesy jalapeño beer bread.
Follow John on Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Website
You can listen to the episode below or on Soundcloud.
- Best time of day to taste
- Scandinavian Sahti
- Dogfish Head Alehouse
- Off Color Brewery in Chicago
- Ancient Ales Project
- Moonlight Meadery
- What’s the point of hops anyway? (9:45)
- The origin myth of IPAs
- How beer ages (it doesn’t)
- Proper beer service temperature (15:00)
- Tasting beers! (16:40)
- Beechwood Amalgamator IPA
- International Bitterness Units
- What is “dankness”?
- More about IPAs on Beer of Tomorrow
- Beer and food pairing tips
- Cheese plate tips (Video)
- Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes
- Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
- Bottles vs Cans (25:30)
- 10 craft beers under 150 calories
- Guinness for breastfeeding
- Mikkeller Bars and brewing, LA and SF
- Connie and Ted’s, West Hollywood
- Sommelier interview wine podcast
- Wheat beers
- Mikkeller Raspberry Blush Berliner Weissbeir
- 30 second run-down of how beer is made (40:00)
- How sour beers are made
- The problem with Corona and Miller High Life
- Firestone Walker Krieky Bones Belgian Lambic
- Brew pub recommendations in LA (53:00)
- Eagle Rock Brewery
- Stalking Horse
- Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine
- Beer Paper LA
I really enjoy listening to your podcast, and I’m really excited for the next one. It’d be really cool if you did one with Adrienne because I think you’re both amazing and make a really great team. Also, thank you so much for your YouTube channel. It was really difficult finding a starting point because I never learned to cook, but you really helped build my confidence up.
Thank you so much for your kind comment. I’m very happy to know I’ve helped you learn to cook 🙂
I did interview Adriene last year, here https://hilahcooking.com/interview-with-adriene-mishler-yoga-with-adriene/
Hi there! I live in the Austin metro area. I enjoyed your podcast. Thanks for sharing! https://leandertxwebdesign.com
Hi there! I live in the Austin metro area. I enjoyed your podcast. Thanks for sharing! https://austinwebsitedesigners.com