Lettuce wraps are the ultimate summer fare — they are quick and easy to make, versatile, light and healthy. You can serve them hot or cold. You can add any vegetables you have on hand, and you can use ground turkey or chicken or even tofu in place of the pork in this recipe. The pork lettuce wrap filling keeps well and can be reheated for an even faster meal a few days after the first meal!
Use any kind of lettuce for the wraps: iceberg is crisp and cool but lacking in nutritional value; Romaine is crisp and has the highest vitamin content of all lettuces; Bibb and butter lettuce types are soft and tender and really pretty once filled; Napa cabbage leaves are not lettuce, but they are yummy and crispy and full of those good cancer-fighting things that cruciferous vegetables are known for.
Topping ideas are endless and include: bean sprouts; diced cucumber; cilantro, basil and mint; chopped peanuts or almonds; fresh jalapeños; quick pickled cucumbers; hoisin sauce; cock sauce; you catch my drift. Serve them on their own, or with this spicy peanut coleslaw on the side.
Pork Lettuce Wraps Video
(Video upload schedule has moved to Tuesdays, FYI. Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get notified of new videos.)
Lettuce Wraps Recipe – Printable
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 pound lean ground pork or turkey
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (or 1 tablespoon oyster sauce)
- 1 tablespoon coconut amino acids (or 2 teaspoons soy sauce)
- 1 stalk celery, julienned
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 small carrot, diced
- For serving:
- lettuce leaves
- lime wedges
- assorted other garnishes
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the pork, onion, garlic and jalapeño. Saute over medium-high heat, stirring constantly to break up the pork, until pork is mostly cooked and in small pieces.
- Add turmeric, oyster sauce and aminos and stir to combine.
- Add celery, peas and carrots and cook until pork is no longer pink and celery is wilted, about 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve in lettuce leaves with whatever fresh toppings you like