Bolognese Sauce Recipe Video (scroll down for printable recipe)
An ex-boyfriend taught me about Bolognese. Until then, I guess I’d always just made “spaghetti sauce” like a regular person who is from Texas and whose only experience with Italian food is from Olive Garden.
When I saw him mincing carrots and celery for our sauce, I was like, “Whoa, dude. What is happening here?” and he was like, “Bolognese, dummy.” Except he didn’t call me a dummy because he was actually a really nice guy. He told me the carrots sweeten the sauce and the celery is there, just because celery is a “joiner”. Celery likes to be part of the party, no matter what kind of party it is.
So this is my version of Bolognese sauce. Some recipes include milk or cream, but I don’t add any. If you want a richer sauce, add a quarter cup whole milk or cream at the end.
Bolognese Sauce Recipe – Printable!Print
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 ounce bacon or pancetta, minced (or omit and increase to 2 tablespoons olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 carrots, minced
- 2 stalks celery minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef (or half beef, half pork)
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the bacon and oil in a deep skillet over medium heat until well-cooked and the fat is rendered.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook 10-15 minutes until soft and browned.
- Add garlic and cook a few seconds then crumble in the meat.
- Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or so until browned.
- Deglaze with wine and cook until it’s reduced by half.
- Add the tomato puree and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve over pasta or use for lasagne. Freeze leftovers for up to 2 months.
Nutrition information is an estimate and does not include pasta
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 10
- Fat: 9.5
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Protein: 28
You know what this would be good with? Vegan Caesar Salad. Except with anchovies added.