Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Chicken enchilada casserole is the casserole I put together when I was pregnant to store in the freezer for an easy dinner. It’s also the casserole I’ll often make when someone’s had a baby (or a funeral).
Enchilada casseroles are great because you can take all the shortcuts, or just some of them. Make your own salsa verde or buy a 16 ounce jar. Use a fresh (or leftover) roast chicken, poach some chicken breast, or use a rotisserie chicken; Hell, a can of chicken would be fine. Add sour cream and cheese layered with corn tortillas and a few minutes to heat. Dinner is ready in under 15 minutes.
If you want more vegetables, add some diced zucchini or mushrooms to the chicken mixture. You could add beans, too, or corn. This is a very flexible “recipe”: a little more sauce or a little less, a couple more stale tortillas to throw in, more cheese, different cheese, red sauce instead of green. As long as your ingredients and amounts are pretty close, you’ll be fine. I love recipes like that.
To freeze this enchilada casserole, just cover tightly with foil and freeze. It’ll stay good for a month in there. Put the whole frozen thing in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and let it go a little longer until it’s hot and bubbly.
Here’s a tip I’ve never actually tried, but seems like a good idea if you are short on extra dishes to leave in the freezer: Line your pan with foil, leaving some excess around the sides; assemble the casserole. Freeze solid. Fold the foil over the top. Remove from the pan; wrap in more foil or plastic if necessary to seal. Put back into freezer. To bake, put the frozen foil block back into the pan (which has been happily sitting in your cabinet this whole time, not wasting away in the freezer) and bake.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole RecipePrint
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 ounces baby spinach, steamed
- 8 corn tortillas, halved
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar
- Garnish: chopped green onions, black olives, pickled jalapeños, avocado
- Mix the chicken with 1 cup of the salsa and all of the sour cream. Get all the chicken coated in this. That will keep the chicken juicy if you decide to freeze it.
- Steam the spinach in the microwave for about 60 seconds and drain.
- Get a 7×11 or a square baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 of the tortillas and 1/2 of the chicken and spinach on top. Sprinkle some cheese
- Pour another 1/4 cup salsa over.
- Layer 1/3 tortillas and rest of the chicken.
- Layer remaining tortillas and pour the rest of the salsa over the top.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Microwave about 10 minutes or bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes or until hot throughout.
- Rest 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with garnishes
Made your own salsa verde with this recipe or buy a 16 ounce jar
- Calories: 335
- Fat: 19
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Protein: 12
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe Video