HHH026 Interview with J. Kenji Lopez-Alt | The Food Lab
I got to interview chef/scientist J. Kenji López-Alt — mastermind behind The Food Lab column on the Serious Eats site — about how he discovered cooking and his approach to finding optimal techniques. We discuss the best (really) way to cook a steak; dispute the idea that you should never refrigerate tomatoes; and why it might be best to cook pasta in just a few cups of water. (I think it’ll surprise you!) Plus, Kenji goes deep on deep frying and the perfect French fries method.
You can listen to the episode below or on Soundcloud.
- Ancho Reyes
- Sous vide
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Reverse sear
- Cook’s Illustrated
- Cooking pasta in a little water
- Modern pasta vs Traditional pasta
- Should you refrigerate tomatoes?
- Daniel Gritzer
- Warm foods taste better
- What happens to refrigerated potatoes
- Mussels and clams that don’t open
- Deep frying temperature truths
- French fry science
- Kenji’s French fries
- Air fryers
- Woodworking for Mere Mortals (podcast here!)
- Wood Whisperer
- Suzuki violin method
- Scent literacy