How To Make Cornbread
how to make cornbread video – scroll down for recipe
The other night I was at a party and met this dude from Germany and he said something that kind of annoyed me about how “Americans have trouble with other languages”.
Obviously that is a ridiculously overarching generalization that surely would have really pissed off someone with just a touch more patriotism than me. But it did get me to thinking about something I’ve heard before that definitely does piss me off and that is how “Americans have no culture”, as stated by some snobby fucker from somewhere else or some self-loathing fucker who wishes he were from somewhere else.
And I admit, it’s kind of hard to define American Culture (and I am not accepting snarky answers like “consumerism”). But the German dude got me thinking again and it struck me that two words can basically sum up the reasoning behind every decision made by the government or the people of the United States: Fuck it.
I mean this in a positive way, for the most part. Like, in the Revolutionary War, the colonists were getting taxed by the British and they said “Fuck it” and started a war. Bam. Declaration of Independence and the US is made, brother. Fourth of July, fireworks, potato salad invented.
Or the California Gold Rush: What? There’s gold in a mountain that is two thousand miles away? “Fuck it, I’m goin’.” Bam. California gets annexed and Levi’s are invented.
Or when early American settlers wanted to make some white bread but all they had was corn and they were like “Fuck it” and cornbread got invented. And this is how they did it (sort of).
how to make cornbread- recipePrint
Traditional Southern Cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or white flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup yogurt + 1/2 cup milk (OR 1 cup buttermilk)
- 1/4 cup molasses, honey, or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter or bacon grease
- Optional: 1 fresh or pickled jalapeno, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix together wet ingredients in another bowl or large measuring cup.
- Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet (or 8×8″ square pan).
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones (add the jalapenos now if you like) and pour the batter into the melted butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cut into 8 squares or wedges.
- Serve warm with butter
To make cornbread muffins:
Decrease cornmeal to 3/4 cup
Increase flour to 1 1/4 cups
Mix the 2 tablespoons melted butter or bacon grease into batter.
Divide into 12 greased muffin tins. Bake 12 minutes.
See? Thanks to the American Culture of Fuck It, we have cool shit here now. Of course, sometimes it backfires and we get in trouble, maybe get our asses beat a little, but fuck it. That’s America.