Maple Coconut Granola
I first shared a version of this homemade granola recipe in the newsletter several months ago (and lezbehonest, that was 2014 and I haven’t sent out another one. Babies take up lots of time…) and since then I’ve been tweaking it weekly — I eat a lot of granola — to see just how low I can go sugar-wise without ruining the flavor. This is what I got.
Coconut oil and maple syrup together are a delicious combination but if you’re not a fan of coconut, use any mild oil like safflower or canola. Likewise, if you don’t like cinnamon or allspice, use a tablespoon of cocoa powder instead. Or just leave it out and let the vanilla extract take the spotlight. The wonderful thing about homemade granola is the flexibility.
You have permission to use any seeds or nuts that you like, as long as the total volume adds up to about a cup. Again, if you’re not a coconut lover, just leave out the coconut flakes or add 1/2 cup more seeds and nuts to make up the difference. It’s all up to you! Go forth and revel in your perfectly customized healthy granola recipe.
One more thing, a little trick I use: measure the coconut oil into a large metal mixing bowl and place the bowl in the warm oven to melt the oil, since coconut oil is solid at room temperature. Once almost melted, remove the bowl (use hot mitts!) and whisk in the syrup and nut butter until smooth.Print
Maple Coconut Granola
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (grade B)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter or tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup raw seeds (sunflower, pumpkin and/or sesame)
- ½ cup raw chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews, or more seeds)
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds or chia seeds
- Set oven to 250ºF (120ºC)
- Combine oil, syrup, nut butter, vanilla, spices, salt in a large bowl and stir until smooth (a whisk is helpful). Add remaining ingredients and stir until evenly coated
- Spread onto large baking sheet and cook 1 hour.
- Stir, then cook another hour. Stir again, then turn oven OFF and let granola cool completely in the oven.
- Store in airtight container
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 5
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 25