Spring Pea Salad with Goat Cheese
Pea Salad with Goat Cheese Recipe Video (scroll down for printable recipe)
Ah made yew a pea salad.
We recently had the pleasure of visiting a dairy goat farm, Blue Heron Farm, you dewds, and I tell you it was pretty GD fantastic. Goats are so much like dogs! They come up and nuzzle you and want to be petted and they have soft fur and no shyness about pooping in front of anyone. As co-owner Lisa put it, they are “little bombs of Zen”. It’s true. It was so relaxing to be out there on a clear, cool day surrounded by a tranquil sea of goats and dry grass. Watch the video to see some footage of cuddling sister-goats! And stay tuned for the full episode on the goat farm that will be out in a couple months 🙂 It’s part of a new project we’re working on. Very exciting stuff, I tell you.
They make fresh cheese, or chevre, out of their goat milk there (along with an awesome cajeta caramel that’s usually available in Austin at Antonelli’s Cheese Shop!) and we got to take some home with us. I’ve been incorporating it into just about everything possible since. Goat cheese added to my scrambled eggs, omelets, any eggs thing goes with goat cheese I think; also salads and just on crackers or celery sticks for a quick snack. This little green pea salad is one of my favorite inventions! It’s so delicate, bright, pretty, fresh, and clean-tasting. I used mint and parsley because I had them and because mint and peas is a classic, but if you were so lucky as to have fresh tarragon around, USE THAT. I think it would be the bomb. The Zen bomb. Of pea salads.
Green Pea and Goat Cheese Salad
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) frozen or fresh shelled peas
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Put peas in a colander and pour over about a cup of boiling water. This will thaw frozen peas and quickly blanch fresh. Allow to drain until cooled.
- Add remaining ingredients to a large bowl and combine gently with peas.
- Serve right away or refrigerate up to 12 hours.