Turkey Taco Salad
It’s “Healthy Food Resolutions Month” again! Every year like clockwork — and Truck Month and Toyotathon — January shows up and makes us all feel bad about eating s’mores for dinner. Admittedly, January has a good point there. Marshmallows are bad for your teeth. But January’s advice is not good if all the healthy crap you eat tastes so god-awful that you just want January to piss off and light itself on fire so you can skip ahead to February and make s’more s’mores on the flaming hump of the month prior.
I think you’ll like this lean and green turkey taco salad enough, though, to make it all year. I dolled up mostly-bland and always-lean ground turkey breast with tomatillos and onions to add some moisture and some more vegetable matter. The seasoning is simple and the whole thing comes together in literally 10 minutes. That’s the real reason you’ll be making this all year, I know. Ten minute meals leaves more time this year for my other resolutions: learn to walk on a tightrope, discover a new galaxy, fix global warming, and make my own pasta. Only one of those is true. Free turkey taco salad recipe if you can guess which!
Turkey Taco Salad
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatillos (about 2 large tomatillos)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 minced jalapeño (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- For serving:
- 8 cups torn lettuce leaves
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- Sliced radishes, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado as desired
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream if you like
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tomatillos, onion, jalapeño and saute about a minute until softened.
- Add garlic and spices and cook another minute.
- Scoot the vegetable mixture to the edges of the skillet and break the turkey into the skillet. Use your spatula to break it into small chunks.
- Add the chicken broth and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the turkey is cooked through and no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- Arrange lettuce and cabbage into 4 bowls and top with whatever other salad vegetables you like. Scoop 1/4 of the turkey mixture on top of each bowl and serve with salsa, cheese, chips and/or sour cream.
Turkey taco mixture can also be served as soft or crispy tacos
And in months other than January, feel free to smother it in cheese, sour cream, and Ranch dressing if you want. Serve it on a bed of Fritos and top it with some guacamole even. Shooot. January can’t even see you now.