If you’ve been dreaming of a way to make your very own junky fast-food-that’ll-kill-ya at HOME, today is your lucky day! Here is Chick-Fil-A’s secret recipe* and my secret* home-frying technique, because unlike those chicken behemoths, CFA and KFC, we little people don’t have pressure fryers in our kitchens.
To make it “just like” CFA, serve on a buttered, toasted bun with two (only TWO) slices of dill pickle. Those very cheap, slightly yellowish “hamburger dills” work the best in my opinion, for the juice marinade and the pickles themselves.
(And for the confirmed pickle-haters who’ve expressed concern over the chicken tasting pickle-y, fret not! Numerous commenters have agreed that the final product does not taste like pickles. If you’re still skeptical, please skim the comments on this post; there are several substitutions offered for pickle juice!)
Watch the oh-so-controversial Chick-Fil-Gay video here! (Click through below to reach the printable recipe card.)
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup pickle juice (sour dill is my favorite)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- Optional: up to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper for a spicy sandwich
- Oil for frying (about a cup)
- For serving: Buns (buttered and toasted) and pickle slices!
- Wrap the chicken loosely between plastic wrap and pound gently with the flat side of a meat tenderizer until about ½ inch thick all around.
- Cut into two pieces, as even as possible.
- Marinate in the pickle juice for 30 minutes to one hour (add a teaspoon of Tabasco sauce now for a spicy sandwich).
- Beat the egg with the milk in a bowl.
- Combine the flour, sugar, and spices in another bowl.
- Dip the chicken pieces each into the egg on both sides, then coat in flour on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a skillet (1/2 inch deep) to about 345-350.
- Fry each cutlet for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through.
- Blot on paper and serve on toasted buns with pickle slices.
Also, if you'd prefer to bake: substitute bread crumbs (Panko if you got em) for the flour and coat as directed. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
*Not exactly, but pretty close!
For answers to some commonly asked questions about this recipe, watch the Chick-fil-Gay follow-up video.