This is one of the simplest coleslaw recipes EVER. In fact, this version is even slightly more complicated than I usually make. Most of the time, I just do salt, lime juice, and cilantro and boy howdy is that good. But I like the addition of the nuts and chipotle and the honey balances everything out.
Cabbage is a poor, misunderstood vegetable but if you take the time to try this easy coleslaw recipe, I think you and cabbage will become friends fast and go to potlucks and barbecues together forever and ever, amen.
- 1 pound cabbage, thinly shredded
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 stalks celery, sliced on diagonal
- ½ cup fine diced onion
- ¼ cup torn cilantro leaves
- ½ cup roasted almonds or peanuts
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch of salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine the cabbage and the ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Toss to coat and set aside at least 10 minutes, up to 30 minutes.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to mix.
- Toss cabbage with celery, onion, cilantro and dressing.
- Refrigerate an hour preferably.
- Add nuts right before serving.
This would be perfect with some fresh fried catfish!