This is one of the simplest coleslaw recipes EVER. In fact, this version is even slightly more complicated than I usually make. Most of the time, I just do salt, lime juice, and cilantro and boy howdy is that good. But I like the addition of the nuts and chipotle and the honey balances everything out.
Cabbage is a poor, misunderstood vegetable but if you take the time to try this easy coleslaw recipe, I think you and cabbage will become friends fast and go to potlucks and barbecues together forever and ever, amen.
- 1 pound cabbage, thinly shredded
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 stalks celery, sliced on diagonal
- ½ cup fine diced onion
- ¼ cup torn cilantro leaves
- ½ cup roasted almonds or peanuts
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch of salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine the cabbage and the ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Toss to coat and set aside at least 10 minutes, up to 30 minutes.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to mix.
- Toss cabbage with celery, onion, cilantro and dressing.
- Refrigerate an hour preferably.
- Add nuts right before serving.
This would be perfect with some fresh fried catfish!
The LEARN TO COOK Book is Here!
By popular demand, Learn to Cook is now available in print! Over 300 pages of knowledge between two soft covers.
Learn To Cook is designed to get you cooking for yourself like a civilized human being! Drawing from a lifetime of cooking and over two years experience making instructional cooking videos, author Hilah Johnson has produced a beginners’ cookbook for today’s young adults. The casual, straightforward style will appeal to anyone with a sense of humor and the focus on fresh, simple recipes will appeal to anyone who loves to eat. The book includes chapters on menu planning, knife skills, grocery shopping and more, plus a comprehensive spice chart and over 150 recipes from breakfast to dinner to snacks in between.