Gummy Eyeballs for Halloween!
Gummy Eyeballs Recipe Video
Gelatin is one of the most fun things to play with at Halloween. Last year I made super-realistic gummy worms with just gelatin, juice and some straws. Cheap and easy. This year I went all out and bought a $10 ice mold to make gummy eyeballs! (this one on Amazon). Still pretty cheap, definitely easy.
If you can’t find blueberries, try a small grape cut in half to make the pupil. Try different colored juices to make the irises. The recipe works with either low fat or regular coconut milk, though the regular coconut milk produces a more opaque white (the ones in the picture below were made with low-fat; the ones in the video thumbnail were made with regular). I use just a tablespoon of sugar for slightly sweet gummy eyeballs but you can add two tablespoons if you like. And save the leftover juice gelatin. Once it’s set, break it up and use it as part of your creepy, gummy eyeball display!
Gummy Eyeballs RecipePrint
DIY Gummy Eyeballs for Halloween
- Prep Time: 90 mins
- Total Time: 90 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 blueberries
- 3 envelopes plain gelatin
- 1/4 cup cherry juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1–2 tablespoons sugar
- boiling water
- 1 4-hole ice mold
- Pour the cherry juice into a heat-proof bowl and sprinkle one packet of gelatin over. Let sit 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup boiling water and stir until smooth.
- Use a straw to pick up a few drops of mixture and put a little into the bottom of each ice mold. Add one blueberry to each. Cover blueberries with about a teaspoon of gelatin. Refrigerate 5 minutes until set.
- In another heat-proof pitcher or glass measuring cup, combine coconut milk, sugar and 2 packets of gelatin. Stir to dissolve and let sit 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup boiling water and stir until smooth.
- Gently pour over the blueberry layer, filling mold about 3/4 way up. Press the top on and refrigerate about 1 hour until set.
- Remove from mold. If you like, use the remaining cherry gelatin broken up as a base to serve the eyeballs on!
This is the ice mold I used (Amazon affiliate link)