Mushroom Quiche Recipe
Until just about four years ago, I was an avowed hater of mushrooms. I mean that I found them disgusting, revolting and gag-worthy. Then suddenly, a switch flipped. Because I love food so much and so much of food (especially vegetarian food) involved mushrooms, I would make an attempt to give mushrooms a try every year or two just to make sure I still hated them.
And I always did, until the day when I didn’t. Who knows what happened. Maybe I grew up. Maybe my tastebuds finally gave in. Maybe my body was telling me that I needed more vitamin D. At any rate, I love cooking with mushrooms now and this mushroom quiche recipe is THE BEST. The best one I have eaten, definitely the best one I have made. The recipe came from my grandmother’s recipe collection, but it appears to be in perhaps her father’s hand. It’s a fantastic quiche recipe, whoever wrote it down.
In order of preference, bake your quiche in either a 9-10 inch tart pan (with removable bottom) or springform pan or pie pan. Something with a removable bottom is nice so that you can get the quiche out in one piece to slice it, and letting the quiche cool outside of the pan will yield a crust that stays crunchy rather than getting soggy.Print
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 pie crust
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lemon (1 tablespoon juice)
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 ounce grated Gruyere or Comte cheese (or plain ol’ Swiss cheese)
- Set oven to 400ºF
- Roll crust out and line a 9-10″ tart pan, springform pan, or pie pan with it.
- Saute shallots in butter over medium heat until softened.
- Add mushrooms, salt, lemon juice and cover. Simmer 8 minutes.
- Stir in crumbs. Remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs, cayenne, nutmeg, milk and cream together. Add mushrooms to this.
- Pour into pastry crust and top with cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes at 400 then reduce heat to 350 for 20 minutes.