Rainbow quinoa salad
Quinoa salad is really my favorite kind of grain salad (even if quinoa isn’t a true grain, yeah yeah). I love the way the little quinoa kernels kind of pop in your mouth and they are so small they quickly absorb all the flavors of the dressing you add. For this quinoa salad recipe, I wanted it to be as colorful as possible so I combined a rainbow of fresh, crunchy vegetables with a blend of white and red quinoa. It’s dressed simply with orange juice, olive oil and a little mustard. This quinoa salad keeps great in the fridge for up to a week, making it perfect to pack for lunch during the week or to have on hand as a quick side salad with a larger dinner.
To up my rainbow-quotient, I used purple radicchio but some people might find it too bitter for their taste. You could use shredded purple cabbage instead.
Aaaaannnnd … many sources say you need to rinse quinoa before cooking it to remove bitter flavors. I have tried rinsing and not rinsing and I don’t taste a damn bit of difference so I never rinse my quinoa. If you are very sensitive to bitterness, you might want to rinse it. I think that most packaged quinoa is pre-rinsed, though.
rainbow quinoa salad video – scroll down for recipe
rainbow quinoa salad recipePrint
Rainbow quinoa salad
Quinoa salad with colorful vegetables and a light orange juice dressing
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 cup white (or blended) quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 head radicchio
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil (or parsley or dill)
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, optional
- Combine quinoa with 1 1/2 cups water in a small pot. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce to low and simmer 12 minutes. Turn off heat and add corn but do not stir. Put the lid back on. Let it hang out while you prep the vegetables.
- Grate the carrot and dice the celery and bell pepper. Shred the radicchio.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and pour the orange juice over, then the olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Toss gently with a spoon to mix. Add in the vegetables and herbs. Stir again.
- Serve warm or cold, topped with toasted nuts
Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get notified of new videos.
You might like these other quinoa recipes: