Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
The problem with so many veggie burger recipes is the blah, mushy texture. Not these, boyee! Black bean quinoa burgers are high-protein and nutrient-dense. I added minced kale though you can use spinach, but kale gives a more interesting texture. Mashed black beans, chewy quinoa, crunchy almonds and a smidge of cheese (optional!) make sure these are firm and dense and while not tasting like a meat burger, they will at least give your molars something to get in to.
For instructions on how to cook quinoa, read/watch this post about quinoa salad. In fact, for time’s sake, why don’t you make the quinoa salad and cook an extra 1/2 cup of quinoa while you’re at it? Then use leftover quinoa to make the black bean burgers. That’s a pretty smart idea, right?
Be sure to drain the beans very well before mashing. If you don’t, your bean burger dough will be too soft and you’ll need to add a bunch more breadcrumbs to make up for it. You can substitute oat flour or gluten-free breadcrumbs, too, for gluten-free veggie burgers.
Black Bean Quinoa Burger Video – scroll down for recipe card
Black Bean Quinoa Burger Recipe – Printable!Print
Quinoa Black Bean Burgers
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1/2 cup onion, fine diced
- 1/4 cup jalapeno or bell pepper, fine diced
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 cup fine chopped kale (packed cup, about 2–3 leaves)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced almonds or pepitas
- 1/4 cup grated cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, divided
- Saute the onion, pepper, cumin and kale in the oil over medium heat for a couple minutes until softened. You want some bite left in the onion, but the kale should be wilted. Remove from heat.
- Drain the beans and mash them coarsely in a bowl (a potato masher works well). Add the quinoa and vegetables and mix.
- Stir in nuts, cheese, Worcestershire, salt and 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs. Stir to make a stiff dough. Add more breadcrumbs if needed.
- Shape into 6 patties of about 1/2 cup’s worth each.
- Coat in remaining breadcrumbs.
- Fry in light oil on a skillet for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown
- OR Bake on an oiled baking sheet at 400ºF for 20 minutes until heated.
- These may also be formed and frozen if you want to cook them later.
- Serving Size: 1 patty
- Calories: 270
- Fat: 3.8
- Carbohydrates: 45
- Protein: 15
If you like this recipe, also check out my original veggie burger recipe!