Taco Salad Tortilla Bowls! (scroll down for printable recipe)
No rinky-dink taco salad, this one is served up in a flour tortilla bowl just like at Taco Bell. Except you make it at home, without the questionable ingredients. You can still have it with Taco Bell sauce, though, if you find a few packets in your glove box. And if you don’t have some old, sticky hot sauce pouches laying around, check out this Mexican Pizza recipe post to make your own Taco Bell sauce!
Taco Salad Recipe – PrintablePrint
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: varies
- Flour tortillas, taco or burrito size
- Spray oil
- Choose any toppings you like:
- Refried beans
- Avocado or guacamole
- Sour Cream
- Pico de Gallo
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Set oven to 375ºF
- Soften tortillas by microwaving briefly if they are stale.
- For burrito size tortillas, get one small oven-proof bowl for each shell and a large baking sheet. Set the bowl(s) upside down on the baking shet and spritz lightly with oil. Press the tortillas around the bowls, pressing and folding them so they keep their shape. Spray outside lightly with oil.
- For taco-size tortillas, turn a muffin tin upside down. Spritz both sides of each tortilla lightly with oil and tuck into the space between muffin cups.
- Bake for 8 minutes. For large tortillas, after 8 minutes, carefully flip the tortillas off the bowls (lift away from you to avoid steam burning your hand) and return to the oven for another 2-4 minutes to cook completely. Small tortillas will be cooked after 8 minutes.
- Spread beans in the bottom, then top with meat or veggies of your choice, then salad ingredients.
- Serve warm.
Try these filling ideas:
- Leftover cooked chicken, shredded and sauteed with onion, chopped tomatoes or tomatillos, oregano, and garlic
- Leftover pork roast, shredded and reheated with garlic, cumin and a splash of lime juice
- Beef taco filling
- Leftover steak, thinly sliced and reheated quickly in a hot pan with oregano and lemon juice
- Vegetable saute of sliced poblano peppers, onions, carrots, summer squash, and/or corn. Add guacamole or sliced avocado
- Tempeh taco filling – vegetarian!