This is kind of like Jiffy corn casserole without the Jiffy. And I don’t mean it takes a long time. It’s still pretty fast!
I was about 13 I think when my uncle dated a lady named Greta for a short while. She came to one Thanksgiving with our family and brought “Greta’s corn casserole”. Or, that’s what my grandma titled it on the recipe card that Greta dictated to her. Well, as it turns out, that corn casserole is the same as the Jiffy corn casserole so it wasn’t truly Greta’s after all. But that’s the way recipes get shared and spread and credited the world around.
Anyway, that classic corn casserole is delicious, for sure. But it doesn’t work for everyone, especially if you have vegetarians coming to dinner (Jiffy mix has lard in it last I checked) and it’s a little too sweet for me. My version of corn casserole is still rich-as-hell with copious amounts of sour cream and some Ritz crackers on top, but with way less sugar. For a gluten-free corn casserole, use crushed potato chips or Fritos. For a firmer casserole, add another egg. I like it this way, soft and creamy and almost like a savory corn pudding. And — the true test of a great casserole — it’s still delicious eaten a day later, cold and straight from the pan.
Corn Casserole without Jiffy MixPrint
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup minced green onion (4)
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1 fresh jalapeño, minced; 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup cracker crumbs (or crushed chips for GF casserole)
- Set oven to 350ºF and put the butter into a 9×9 or 8×8″ pan. Put the pan into the oven while you mix the casserole.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except cracker crumbs. Add the melted butter from the pan and stir. Pour into hot pan. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes or until set in the center.